Hello Primary Friends! Last year I did not make a primary program script available and I got a lot of disappointed emails, so this year I didn’t want to let you down again! As such, I volunteered to write the primary program for our primary (I am the secretary now). And I don’t usually have the script up until August, but we may be doing ours earlier this year (we usually do it in October but we might do it in September this year) so I wanted to get crackin’! The weird thing about writing this primary program is “I am a Child of God” was the theme for my FIRST primary program. And that simultaneously makes me feel old, and like I’ve been in primary a LONG time. But hey, as long as its not Young Womens…. I’m not going to complain 😉
Tips to Adapt this Script for YOUR Primary:
- If you need fewer parts combine some of the shorter parts into one.
- If you need more parts, split up the longer parts into two. If you still need more parts consult the Sharing Time Outline. Most of the parts in this script come from the outline weekly headers. If you need more parts look for material in each week’s sharing time lesson, they often include good quotes or scripture references that can be made into parts.
- We keep our children’s talks that they give in primary throughout the year, so when I reference a “talk” in our script it is referring to one of these which we have a copy of. If you don’t already have a habit of keeping the talks I suggest starting it for next year! You don’t have to end up using them, but options are never a bad thing, right?
- Our script goes through September because we going to do our program in October and with General Conference and 2 rehearsals we wont have any sharing time lessons until after the program. But if you want to include the whole year, again consult the Sharing Time Outline. Use each weekly topic as the foundation of a part.
- Some of the parts require the children to write something up on their own. Our approach to getting this all accomplished is as follows: About 4-6 weeks before the program I put together 1 envelope for every family in our primary. Inside of the envelop is a letter (see below) along with all the parts for the children in that family. I ask that if their child has a part that needs to be written that they do so and return it the next week. We get some of them back that way, and I prefer to give the families a chance to do it with their child b/c when they do we get better results (as far as what is written). For those who don’t return their parts I pull them out one by one during sharing time and help them write their part. To hand out these envelopes we have the bishop announce at the beginning of sacrament meeting that we will be holding all the primary children *hostage* in the primary room after church until one of their parents come to get them. We then hand the envelope to the child’s parent (along with their child(ren)). Lot’s of parents forget or don’t hear the announcement, but no worries! They eventually come looking for their child ;).
If you’d like to see a copy of the letter that we send home to our primary families you can see that here:
Be sure to check out my other tips for surviving the rehearsals and the program here.
If you don’t have Microsoft Word, or are having trouble with the above download, there is a PDF available here.